Road tripping along the West Coast had been on my mind since the day I moved to US for work. For me, the landscapes that automatically come to mind are the Grand Canyon, Yosemite, and Death Valley among others, as I have seen again and again in a bunch of movies.
Saying that I obsessively planned this trip is the understatement. It has been been a big bucket list item and I felt little bittersweet to be crossing it off the list. 12 days driving from Vegas to San Diego, visiting best national parks in the states, taking in the Highway One scenery, watching sunset at the Chanel Island and spending a day in Disney was truly incredible.
As I sit on the flight back from a 12 days road trip in West coast, I thought I’d put together a blog post on how to plan the best, dreamiest West Coast USA road trip. I wanted to do this because if I’m honest, I found planning the West coast road trip way more consuming and time taking than any trip I’ve ever planned.
Road trip West Coast USA
So come with me as we go on a road trip of the West Coast, USA! I have a feeling that you’ll love it just as much as I do.
- 3 state – Nevada, Arizona, California
- 5 people
- 9 cities – Las Vegas, Flagstaff, Merced, SFO, Ventura, LA, Long Beach, Santa Monica, San Diego
- 11 nights
- 12 days
- 2462 miles
- ∞ (infinite) memories
and it’s gonna be legen…wait for it…dary!! 👐
Fasten your seat belt to enjoy the mesmerizing journey of the most beautiful places in the United states.
THIS WAS OUR 12-DAY WEST COAST USA ITINERARY:
- Day 0: Arrival in Las Vegas
- Day 1: Beginning of our 12-day West Coast USA Road Trip from sin city- Las Vegas
- Day 2: Grand Canyon National Park, the most popular National Park in the Western USA.
- Day 3: Antelope Canyon and Horseshoe Bend
- Day 4: Death Valley National Park. One of the places we like the most during our 12-day West Coast USA trip.
- Day 5: Yosemite National Park, a must-visit place on the West Coast.
- Day 6: SFO and Pacific Drive, the nation’s most scenic drive
- Day 7: Channel Island- Santa Cruz, the most beautiful Island with clear blue water and untouched beauty all around
- Day 8: Los Angeles, the center of the nation’s film and television industry
- Day 9: DisneyLand, fairyland where Disney characters come alive
- Day 10: San Diego. The place has the most serene and calm beaches
- Day 11: Red Canyon and Seven Magic mountain. Return flight from Vegas. End of our 12-day Western US trip.
So there we have it, a little overview of our West Coast USA road trip, I hope this helps anyone planning a road trip.
- BEST SEASON: The most popular seasons to travel to the West Coast of America are spring and autumn. We chose December: the temperatures are pleasant and ideal for hiking. December is not touristy and you can escape the crowds. An additional advantage is that both flights and stays are a lot cheaper than in high season.
- CAR RENTAL: To get a better price on the Rental cars, I would recommend to book well in advance.
- REFUELING: As the Fuel Prices are higher in the west coast. So, consider about getting your tank filled inside the cities to save dollars
- ACCOMMODATION: Hotels are quite expensive at some of the places. You can book on Airbnb website for better prices. Some of the places where we found better prices on Airbnb are Flagstaff, SFO and LA
- CLOTHING: Temperature in the west coast is quite variable and changeable. Carry enough layers for the places like Antelope Canyon, Yosemite etc.
- START EARLY: As the set set early in December and every day you must be traveling to reach your destination. So, Hit the roads as early as possible to spend good time in the light and of course to get better pictures.
- FOOD: Finding the right kind of a food is a challenge but there are enough good Indian restaurants in west coast. If nothing works out, Chipotle burrito bowl is the closest to Indian flavor.
- NATIONAL PARK PASS: You can get the America the beautiful National Pass as you are going to visit 4 to 5 national park on this trip. This will definitely save some dollars for you.
This 12-day road trip has everything a good road trip should; ever-changing landscapes, picturesque pit stops, night life, culture and an abundance of history!
Would we go back? Most definitely, next time we’d like to start up in Vancouver or Seattle, we’d also like to do a lot more from LA downwards and then fly from San Diego to Hawaii.
I am going to write a separate post for each day. So, Stay tuned for more information on the West Coast Trip. Do you have questions or do you want to share your travel stories? Leave a comment below.
#Travel #diextr #WestCoast #Vegas #GranCanyon #AntelopeCanyon #DeathValleyNationalPark #YosemiteNationalPark #SFO #SanFransicso #PacificDrive #BirSur #Ventura #ChanelNationalPark #SantaCruz #SantaMonica #LittleItaly #VeniceCanals #HalfMoon #SanDiego #Lajolla @CabrilloNationalPark #RedCanyonNationalPark